The Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) Grant is awarded by the National Science Foundation through the Tennessee Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (TLSAMP) to enhance recruitment and retention of underrepresented minority students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines. The BD program at UT provides up to a $32,000-per-year stipend for the first two years of doctoral studies to former LSAMP students who are entering a STEM PhD program and have earned a baccalaureate degree or will earn a baccalaureate degree prior to Fall 2020 (read the LSAMP STEM classification). Along with this stipend, the grant also provides two years of support for tuition, fees and health insurance.
Former LSAMP students who are entering a PhD program after completing a baccalaureate degree are eligible to apply. Since this program is intended to increase enrollment in PhD programs, currently enrolled doctoral students are not eligible to apply.
For more information, please call or email the Office of Diversity Programs by phone at 865-974-0625 or by email at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
›Do I need to be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident to apply?
- Yes, you must be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident to be eligible to apply for the Bridge to the Doctorate.
›How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- To be considered eligible a student must meet all of the following below:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Identify as a student historically underrepresented in STEM (African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders)
- Undergraduate STEM majoring in science or engineering
- Participate in an LSAMP program or earned a baccalaureate degree an LSAMP institution
- Commitment to the pursuit of the Ph.D. in science or engineering
›How much money will I receive if I am awarded the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- The BD program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville provides up to $32,000-per-year stipend for the first two years of doctoral studies.
›How long can a student be funded by the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- The BD fellowship will support a student for the first 2 years of their doctoral studies.
›Can I have more than one funding source?
- It depends on the funding source. Please contact our office for more details.